Motorcycle Roadworthy Certificates (RWC)

Essendon Motorcycles & Mowers are a licensed vehicle tester for Victorian motorcycle roadworthy certificates (RWC).

A RWC is current for a 30 day period from the date of issue. What is important to remember is that a RWC is issued from an inspection or testing perspective, which mainly covers major safety related items and is not a check of the overall mechanical reliability or general condition of the motorbike.

We can carry out your motorcycle roadworthy testing and perform any services required to get your bike up to standard so that you can get your roadworthy certificate.

Roadworthy Certificate – $199*

If your motorcycle passes a roadworthy test the first time, the cost for the roadworthy will only be $199*. If however it doesn’t pass you have 7 days to carry out the required repairs and the re-inspection is free.

Call us to book in your roadworthy certificate on 03 9351 0055
or contact us here via email

The RWC Test

When a Essendon Motorcycles & Mowers technician performs a mechanical examination of your motorcycle, a checklist is used to ensure that the motorcycle is functioning in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

This checklist includes a thorough inspection of virtually every function of the motorbike, including:

  • Starting/stopping the engine
  • Activating turn indicators, brake lights, headlight(s) and low/high beam function
  • Tyre inflation and proper condition (no rips, tears, or cracking in sidewalls)
  • ADR-legal exhaust specifications
  • Steering/headstem/bearings
  • Wheel bearings
  • Chain/sprocket
  • Seat, handgrips, and mirrors are all in working condition
  • Overall motorcycle safety check

How Long is a Roadworthy valid?

A certificate of Roadworthiness is valid up to 30 days from the date of issue.

Getting a Certificate of Roadworthiness

A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued when a vehicle is passed by a licensed vehicle tester, operating from a nominated garage or service station. A certificate is only issued when a vehicle passes the inspection.

Registering a Motorcycle in Victoria

To be allowed on public roads in Victoria, a motorcycle must be registered. If your registration has expired by less than 3 months, you can still renew your vehicle’s registration. A motorcycle is a 2 wheeled motor vehicle and includes a motorcycle with a trailer, forecar or sidecar attached.

A motorcycle can be registered as a:

Standard motorcycle
Recreational motorcycle, or
farm motorcycle (“farm bike”).Different eligibility and conditions apply to farm and recreational motorcycle registration.

Note: If you have purchased your new motorcycle through a dealership, the dealership may arrange the registration on your behalf at the time of purchase.

Standard Motorcycle Registration Eligibility

A motorcycle can be registered in the name of an individual or a corporation (company or incorporated association).


To register your motorcycle, your age must be at least 17 years and 9 months. If you are a minor, your car can be registered in someone else’s name (e.g. a parent, guardian or sibling) until you reach the minimum age. To operate a motorcycle, you must be the holder of an appropriate motorcycle learner permit or licence. Learner and probationary riders are only allowed to ride motorcycles approved for novice riders under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS). For more information view the VIC Roads website page: Approved motorcycles for novice riders.


A company or incorporated association can have a motorcycle registered in its name. Companies have an Australian Company Number (ACN). Incorporated associations will not have an ACN but may be incorporated in a number of ways e.g. through an Act of Parliament or by Royal Charter. They may include organisations such as hospitals, municipal councils or trade unions.Who cannot register a motorcycle, a motorcycle cannot be registered in a business name, trading name or the name of an unincorporated group. If the motorcycle is owned by an unincorporated body, multiple people or an emergency response organisation (e.g. SES, CFA or municipality vehicles), an individual may be nominated as the registered operator.

Recreation Motorcycle Eligibility and Conditions

Minimum construction requirements, all recreational motorcycles must have the following:

A rear vision mirror fitted to the right hand side, brakes fitted to both wheels, capable of working independently if one brake fails, one head lamp, one rear red tail lamp, one rear red brake lamp, one rear white number plate lamp, silencing device which restricts the noise level to 94 dBA or less, an appropriate horn or warning device wired into the motorcycle’s electrical system, a chain guard that protects the rider from the front chain sprocket.